Saturday, February 28, 2009

Life's Just Great...

I utilized my time effectively over the last few weeks. The workshop was great, the group I was in was great; I loved the entire experience including my interview session with Abodh Aras, the CEO of a foundation called Welfare of Stray Dogs. He works with stray dogs in Mumbai, sterilizes them, does vaccinations, has educational campaigns for people to understand how and why not to get scared of stray dogs, fundraising activities etc.

A most interesting experience; one I would recommend to all budding writers or those who just want to re-learn.

Ok, I remember my promise to Reflections...here goes!

25 Facts About Me

1. I am a die-hard foodie, but I didnt need to write that...you know it already even if you've read just one post on my blog.

2. I love to build up stories, plots in my head and imagine them through to a very emotional finale...just cant write them down, yet.

3. It takes a lot of persuasion to get me to do something important or something that I know will take a lot of my time and effort.

4. I dont think I would want my child to make the same mistakes I did although I still think those mistakes were learning experiences.

5. I have a fondness for books about food, or has food in some way interlinked with the plot, more than books of any other category.

6. I think my world would be empty without good libraries, bookstores.

7. I dont really miss drinking until I see a bottle of Bacardi Reserva.

8. According to me, nothing compares to Bacardi Reserva, not spiced rum, not Old Monk (which I've heard, NRIs love to stock their cupboards with), not anything else in the world. I love singing "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" with ol' rum-loving Jack Sparrow.

9. I didnt watch the Academy Awards thinking Kate Winslet might not win if I did watch; because I thought that my not watching the Golden Globes gave her two (I'm sure this must be the height of conceit, but it worked!!).

10. I still dont know if I'm a coffee person or a tea person.

11. At the workshop, I was the only one who didnt have a strong enough opinion piece. I think that comes from sitting on the fence a lot.

12. I keep procrastinating (like this workshop thing I had wanted to do for quite a few months before I finally did it) and then when I do it I wonder what was all the procrastinating about. After which, regret sets in and haunts me.

13. I cannot stand ghost movies anymore, more for the sound effects than anything else. Also, if I see scary things appearing from windows or mirrors, I avoid looking at both in my room at night when trying hard to sleep.

14. I watched Bhoot (ghost in Hindi) movie and slept with the lights on for weeks.

15. I dont mind Chinese supersitions as much as I hate Indian ones...although most of the time, I think one can relate to the other; they have common ground at times.

16. I can worship Aamir Khan as the god of acting. He's made some of the most memorable Indian movies; one to do about an 8 year old struggling with learning disability (which he also made into a mission to educate go-getter parents with the ground realities of learning disabilities), one where he is investigating his girlfriend's murder while dealing with a memory that gets wiped away completely every 15 minutes, beating the Britishers at a game of cricket to win a tax exemption at the time of colonial rule over India, one about how a group of youngsters start to understand the freedom their country has gained by stepping into the shoes of freedom fighters for a televised play.

17. I have understood love the hard way. I am blessed with it only after knowing its worth; I am glad for I know that now I will be able to guard it with my life.

18. Music can make me write of my emotions more fluidly than a complete pin-drop silence.

19. I identify with Miranda in Sex and the City although my childhood friends might identify me with Charlotte a lot more.

20. Music and books can take me to places I never imagined I'd visit.

21. I love fiercely and passionately even though on the surface, I seem more like still water: no ripples, no waves.

22. I love reading about others' lives and daily stories more than I love writing about my own.

23. To people I admire or learn from, I seem more submissive than I am.

24. I especially miss my home when I hear tea being passed around.

25. Nostalgia hits me more now than it used to before. Makes me realize I'm getting older.

Well, what do you know...this was easier than it looked. Music helped, too. :-)

8 comments:

Leah said...

WONDERFUL post! Really wonderful.

I just have to make a few comments--

#2: I think this is definitely the first step in fiction-writing. I'm struggling with that second step. I hope you will too, even if it's just as a break from expository writing. I bet you'll love it, and you're a really good writer!

#5: I love books about food too, reading descriptions of food, even reading recipes. What's your fave book about food, or fave recipe book, or both? I'm curious.

#12: procrastination, then "why ever did I procrastinate?" oh, how much I've struggled with this.

#24: "the sound of tea being passed around," how lovely and poignant. Isn't it amazing how our aural sense can be so strong, how sounds can be so evocative?

I loved reading this. But I'd better stop before this comment becomes too long!

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Thank you so much Leah for writing most heartfelt comments about my post. We have so much in common! I'm so happy I can talk to you about foodie books: my most favourite, A Year in Provence, Daughter of Heaven, all Enid Blyton books. I think it's all thanks to Enid Blyton that I love food references in books. All Amy Tan books have food tied into the story, pot-sticker dumplings, Moon cakes, New Year festival food... I also loved Rude Food - a book of food reviews. I'm currently reading Chocolat, a wonderful absorbing read just heightening my love for chocolate, pure and rich.

I love each one of your comments, the longer the better. Especially about #24 striking a chord with you too.

Britt-Arnhild said...

An empty world without libraries and bookstores - I so much agree!

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Isnt it? :)

Reflections said...

Aha the tag is up:-D

#5 just yesterday I came across a food blog which incorporated fiction inbetween.
And there I was thinking "How interesting"
......but didnt save the link:-(. will give u the link if i come across it.

#12 is just me...the regret & all. Believe me when i say...I myself am surprised eachtime I put up a post within 5 days:-P

#18...hmmm we r different at this point...pindrop helps here.....a lot. When u have kids jabbering away 24/7 I guess we tend to appreciate it more....the pin drop variety.

22. I love reading about others' lives and daily stories more than I love writing about my own.
Heeeee...me too.

Enjoyed reading ur tag & finding some of my quirks in urs:-))

Maria said...

Aren't ghost stories just awful? To this day, I cannot look in a mirror when I get up to get a drink in the middle of the night. This is because ONE time I saw a scary movie where a ghost appeared standing behind someone as they looked in a mirror.

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Reflections, I'm amazed we share so much :) Do, do send me the link. And thank you for very sweetly commenting on the items you liked or that moved you from the list.

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Hi Maria...I totally understand what you mean. That's why I hate ghost movies.