Sunday, November 16, 2008

What I love about this place I live in...

...Life is at a relaxed pace no matter what day of the week you're in. Mondays is when the entire market outside my house (shops, stalls, dry cleaners, you name it) are all closed for the day. Some grocery stores are open half the day and then close after lunch. It's only applicable for the area I live in. No matter what you need, if it's on a Monday then you better take a rickshaw or bus out to some shop outside this area.

....You know when it's a popularly celebrated festival. The loudspeakers blare out Marathi bhajans and film songs.

...There's a very poor selection of take out restaurants in the immediate areas surrounding our own. Only good thing about this is you dont mindlessly order food and get even fatter than you get if all you do is sit at home.

...There's even a small silver lining to power cuts in this area; they're in the afternoon so you get to catch up on your reading and even take a short nap afterwards.

...The nearest movie multiplex is a half-hour's ride away. I dont watch as many movies as I used to. Good thing? With my income from freelancing, it's a good saving.

...If you dont feel like cooking, there's a healthier alternative to take-out fast and Chinese food. We have poli-bhaji kendras (place where you get a simple, home-cooked meal thanks to enterprising Marathi businesswomen). I've often picked up entire lunches or curries to add to my home-cooked meal of the day. They even make Chicken biryani on occasion.

...They have two well-stocked libraries. I've subscribed to the older one of the two. I long to take a peek at the newer one which also looks better kept and doesnt have ancient copies of books coming almost apart at the spine.

...There's a nice, open-air mall nearby (near is of course, a little more than 30 mins away). It has movie theatres, bars, restaurants, a Mc Donalds and lots of stores. Only thing it doesnt have are good bag/purse stores.

2 comments:

Maria said...

Sounds like you have lots to be happy about....

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

True...I moved here from a bustling commercial centre where shops, malls, restaurants were just a minute's walk away. I am right now pleasantly separated from the commercial hubs...no noise, no endless traffic...no mindless shopping :)