Monday, November 3, 2008

A Bag

I need to update my bag-robe...as in wardrobe...

I'm carrying this white, rectangular purse gifted to me by my sister-in-law...a very cool gift to give to someone who can never have enough bags. Plus, I'd never buy white in bags so it was refreshing to get it as a gift. I'm always a careful shopper who only once splurged on a soft pink leather bag once...and that was it as i watched my bag get begrimed and was too scared to dunk it in water, which was what it needed. I also have many bags but tend to carry around one until it falls apart. My white bag now looks like it needs to be outed soon...in the way of shoving it into the dark recesses of the black hole in my closet...where things go but never return.

I want desperately to go bag shopping. Bangkok was where all the hep bags were but my thick-headed soulmate didnt understand my subtle hints. Soon after, I consoled myself thinking that I should cultivate a fashion sense and possess a smart bag...versatile and strong and reliable. And very, very beautiful. Doesnt matter if I'm the only one who thinks its beautiful. So, I looked at designer bags till my eyes popped out. Checked them online, sought out the expensive ones even if only to windowshop. My shopping sense was miraculously altered and now it was all about possession...getting a perfect bag, not just any cheap one. The confusion that normally envelops my brain in a bag shop soon drove away and I looked for bags the way a shrewd grocery shopper checks vegetables. I held bags to see if they fell off my shoulder, I looked at the design then imagined what outfits would best complement it. I realized that with my ethnic, western and formal outfits, I needed either a versatile bag (like my white bag which has its limitations esp when I dress up in a saree for weddings) or at least two separate bags; one a normal tote and the other a clutch or something equally slinky.

All in all, I'm developing a sense instead of just going for the bean shaped bag and getting a good deal. I still want a good deal but I want a bag that looks more than just a bag. More than just something you stuff all your little and big things in: from lipsticks to books to a stowaway snack or a dress or something that you splurged on and dont want the world to know. Not that my present income methods would allow such extravagance.

The only down side to all this newly developed 'sense' is that I have yet to find my bag. :) This Saturday I might be meeting a best friend of mine...hopefully in the wide expanse of Phoenix Mills I will be able to find the bag that dreams are made of....

4 comments:

Maria said...

I am probably the only woman in the world who wears Chanel suits and carries a knapsack for a purse....

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

hey...a knapsack holds everything!! I used to carry this really cute knapsack in college...cost me a lot of my allowance but didnt hold all my books. It was tiny...one of my very few "make-a-statement" purchases.

Mukta Raut said...

hi idle, if you are not averse to leather, here's a place you might like to try - the shopping arcade in the Oberoi Hotel - Hilton Towers now. Very good leather stuff and they bargain! :-)

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Ah! Now I am interested!! :) Thanks, mukta.