Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tis the Night Before Christmas...




I wish I was at my old home to celebrate it with Rum plum cake and fake champagne and some Chinese food or pizza. That's how we would do it...no one would cook or if we did then we'd make time for cake and a small party just the four of us, my parents, sister and me.

This time, we're going to a wedding on the 25th and might drive around Nariman Point after the wedding lunch before we return home to a restful evening perhaps with a movie CD or two. I need to shop the day after for some readymade salwars so I can wear the kurtis I bought before the South East Asia trip to functions such as the one we're going to on Saturday. 27th is when my husband's old friend's visiting Bombay (lives in US) so we're all invited to a lunch party by his family. Hubby also wants to fit in a dental appointment in his schedule that day so we'll be rushing from one thing to another.

My mom's going today to her cottage in a village about 4 hours from Bombay. She will have a quiet Christmas with her dogs, just the way she wants it.

My sister's going to be busy with designing my dad's organisation's magazine cover. She's already busy so perhaps she'll just pause for a plum cake this Christmas.

My dad's going to have a one-day break probably and fit in work as well as rest in that day. Since mom's not around perhaps they might not have their own small party of three.

Hubby wanted to invite his cousins and open a brand new Johnny Walker and a Bailey's Irish caramel-flavoured cream. The plans thanks to a wedding and a lunch party that we've been invited to will not take off.

I want to scout around for a good Christmas cake. I might end up going to the only cake shop around here for an imperfect cake yet a plum one. We bought a Dundee cake from there a few days ago which was a total hash job. I'd grown up eating Dundee cake from wonderfully painted cake tins that were saved to hold sketch pens and stationery. Now, they're available in plastic-paper cake covers that are anything but saving-worthy.

Anyhow...a very Merry Christmas to all you bloggers! May you have a wonderful break from the usual and the mundane. Happy holidays!

6 comments:

Maria said...

Hope your holiday was grand!

You asked about Nirand's dinner. Let's see...we had masala fried fish, fried eggplant with some sort of yogurt sauce and steamed rice, butter chicken with claybread and garlic butter, vermicelli pudding and masala chai to drink.

What do you think? Were we well fed?

Britt-Arnhild said...

Merry Christmas in the middle of your busy activities.

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Awesome, Maria...an Indian feast! I love vermicelli pudding and all those dishes you had but i dont think ive had fried eggplant with yogurt sauce...must check if my recipe books have it. Sounds interesting! My holiday was good...a wedding, a drive around South Bombay, a lunch with my husband's childhood friends, a book sale and plenty of rest without work!

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Britt-Arnhild, hope you had a wonderful Christmas...will visit your blog soon to read all about it :)

Girly-Girl said...

I hope you had a wonderful christmas.xx

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

I did :) but too lazy to post it! Hope u did too!