Monday, December 29, 2008

Jolly Good

I missed celebrating Christmas with a glass of port and Christmas rum cake with my folks at the old home but this time was good too.

We were out all day, a large part was spent at a wedding which had the kind of food I like - some bits traditional, a few paneer (cottage cheese) curries and a lovely cool Sitaphal Basundi (thick condensed milk sweet and slightly spiced with custard apple fleshy bits floating in it). That Basundi had been served at my wedding too which my husband loyally sided with. I liked having big bits of custard apple flesh to chew on as I sipped the Basundi. The other highlight were Capsicum bhajias (batter-fried slices of capsicum...you cannot stop at one or two!)

After we left the wedding hall, we took a long drive around The Gateway of India, had a back view of the Taj, Nariman House, Oberoi and a silent, contemplative (for the most part) roam around Marine Drive looking at the ocean water and the Bombay skyline. We reached home around evening after which we had a short nap before my husband cooked some egg fried rice. It became slightly mushy which I loved and asked him to make it again, which pleased him - he thought it had failed.

The remaining days sped off and we had moody Sunday blues which we banished by going to a mall nearby and gazing at their fantastic decorations with my niece and nephew by marriage. Their reactions had us made us look at Santa Clauses, Christmas trees differently. The mall was tightly packed with people and I didnt get to sit for a minute of those 3 hours we spent there so my knees ultimately suffered.

Now, I have a whole week of nothing-to-do other than sit hammering away at a keyboard and work. My husband has started this routine of coming home early after which we immediately go for a walk around the neighbourhood. We catch up on the day and come back much energized. I need to lose a lot of weight and not going out for dinners, walking every day is helping a lot.

We're trying to think of ideas for a New Year's Eve dinner. Any suggestions?

8 comments:

Girly-Girl said...

That sounds like a great way to catch up on the day with your hubby. I'm going to try and convince mine to walk with me in the evenings as well....wish me luck! LOL!

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

:) All the best...but am sure you wont need it! :)

Britt-Arnhild said...

Nice to read about Indian food. I tasted custard apple for the first time when I was there in October. A new look and a new taste to me :-)

Maria said...

I used to take the dog for long walks every evening but now that it is so cold outside, I just can't bear to do it.

And I miss those walks. They are addictive, yes?

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Hi Britt-Arnhild, yes it's a bit of a trouble to eat a custard apple with a hundred seeds but the taste is lovely :) I also like to eat custard apple ice cream. Try that on your next visit.

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Hi Maria, the walks are really addictive...especially when you're with a loved one or a loyal friend :)

Reflections said...

Never tasted this custard apple basundi before...sounds yummy.

A walk b4 dinner sounds so good. Seriously....I think I'll start walking too....I need to lose lots of weight...esp flab:-(.

And how did ur New Year Eve Dinner go?????

Wishing U a very HAPPY YEAR ahead!!!!

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Happy new year to you too! Dinner was at Noodle Bar...I'm seriously feeling a lot better since I started walking...really fun to do it with a good talker (like my hubby) although you're often out of breath :)