Sunday, September 28, 2008

Crazy Times

Watched Zohan on Friday with my sis and cuz from B'glore. I didnt expect to enjoy it as much as I did, laughing at the bawdy jokes and getting heartily sick of the overuse of hummus. Adam Sandler, great for once, really went all the way out to create something new. And, he was quite convincing. And, he was supported by a great cast, which helped make me laugh. My sis and cuz were shocked and scandalized and did not like the movie as much as I did. Because of which, I never really admitted how much I enjoyed it.

The movie was followed by lunch at Thai Chi with their very excellent seafood dishes. I'd been there before and everything we'd ordered had been great so I took these two. I'm not sure how much cuz liked it but sis was quite excited to sample the spread of wontons, butter-garlic fried prawns, seafood rice, some spicy prawns with capsicums and a very subtly flavoured chicken and mushrooms in chilly oyster sauce. For dinner, I went to Pop Tate's with my husband with very little appetite which was later spurred on thanks to some excellent Sula Sparkling wine and a cheese-prawn pizza. I think I'm getting a bit old for eating out twice in one day. I nibbled at every thing and had a quarter portion of the Roast chicken sizzler although I did finish my portion of wine.

Sunday was our turn to cook and my husband basically took over the vegetables and prawns (yes, we went and bought some on sunday as we'd not had our fill of it on friday) while I slaved over the spaghetti which was magically transformed into hakka noodles. I didnt have to chop any of those vegetables though. We'd been to Foodland in the morning, a supermarket that seems to be stocking well recently, and bought Mushroom Soya Sauce, veggies, fresh prawns on ice and a few other things. I even had a look (for the first time in my life) at Bombay Duck sprawled out on ice. They had a face like a tiny angler fish and a fleshy body that was six times bigger than its head. Or more. The fatty lumps sat there looking very appetizing and we just looked at them as we had no idea how to cook them.

He cooked the prawns well with lots of butter, ginger-garlic, onion, chilli flakes, red chilli powder, a tiny wee bit garam masala, generous dashes of oregano, and the mushroom soya sauce. It turned out really well, the fishy taste of prawns melding well with the spice and sauces. Not to mention the buttery taste that squeezed out the minute you bit into a prawn.

We took a walk in the evening and sat on the edge of a park, he digging into a small cup of vanilla icecream (to battle acidity) while I had a thin can of Pepsi. I'm sure most people passing by (who stared at me) thought the Pepsi can was a can of beer or something. I've never received such intense stares before and the place was pretty much in the shadows with a dim light from the half-working street lamps lining the curve of the road. Back home, I finished my detective-lawyer fiction 'Perry Mason and the Gold-digger's Purse' which I liked. Very complex plot followed by a nice work of detection and logic for uncovering the plot. When you read such books, you realize that it's not too hard to write detective fiction. But it's infinitely hard to stick to logic in your story and tiny details such as the time gaps when the victim was visited by so and so. If you focus too much on the details, your head starts to spin but if you cruise very coolly through the story then it's a breeze, basically. It's not too hard to follow. Plus, these books are really easy reads and come as a blessing between really heavy books.

I do wish Strand was having a sale right now. The rains have stopped and I need to go to that part of town. And buy some books!
:)

No comments: