Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Poem in Your Pocket

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.

William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616)

It may not have anything to do with the election fever today but it does alter my frame of mind from despair to hope. Leah, it was a good idea to suggest carrying a poem in my pocket; I carried this in my heart.

6 comments:

Maria said...

I have carried a poem in my purse for years. I change it according to mood. But...yes...it works.

And you cannot go wrong with Shakespeare.

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Absolutely! :)

Leah said...

I missed this!

Very wonderful. I'm glad you carried it.

Reflections said...

Huh...never seen this poem in my life.
ummm...I say it with so much confidence coz I've done my degree in literature.

oh well....I guess, didnt pay enoff attention some places;-D

Reflections said...

Busy huh?????

Hope u r doing good. Tek care;-D!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey,this poem used to be a part of our english poetry when we did our school finals....The first poem...I still remember writing paragraphs about it in the exam....I just loved it soooo much. This one and the other poem on road not taken(if i am not wrong,by Robert Frost) was the second poem...They were my favourites then....Seeing this on your bloagpage reminded me of the scene of my english teacher reading it line by line, and the hours i had spent on adding new dimension to the understanding(so I could save a bit more mark...He,he)..thanks for sharing