Thursday, April 9, 2009

A French Twist!

There's a bakery called The French Loaf, which apart from french loaves has Focaccia bread (with olives), quiches, pies, different varieties of multigrain breads and also an exquisite selection of cakes. Everything's expensive, because it comes from France?!

Not so much a taste of France say a few online reviews I found online. I couldnt visit the shop, only a few blocks away from my home in Andheri. So I hoped it would stay there and searched for some descriptions online to see what's the best thing to eat or order there. Disappointing said one review in an online version of a local newspaper (tabloid). They heat croissants in a microwave before serving them to you and their rolls are no different from any other coffee place. Just buy a loaf to make French toast, they say. Another review raved about the pastries offered and the "buy one, get one free" offer on their loaves.

What's really interesting is to find a bit of France (even if its only the loaf) in surroundings where one would often find an Italian, Chinese or Indian restaurant around the corner. Lebanese joints, Arabian bistros, hookah cafes all have mushroomed over this area so a French twist was quite unexpected.

I'm looking forward to sample a few of its goodies, buy some loaves and write my own food review!

8 comments:

Leah said...

I shall be interested to hear how it was!

I love good fresh French bread and it is nearly impossible to find outside of France.

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

I thought that might be the case. well, the idea of breaking French bread is interesting in itself.

Reflections said...

Another blogger had blogged abt French Loaf outlet...but abt the one in chennai :-)).

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Oh, how was it?

Leah said...

I actually meant to say it was impossible to find in NYC--actually, I've never tried it anywhere but Paris and NY--it's never good in NY, always good in Paris. Maybe it'll be good where you are?

Britt-Arnhild said...

I bought a couple of fresh French loaves in Trondheim the other day. Ate them with salmon and scrameled eggs. A great meal.

Maria said...

So, did you like it?

The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Hi Leah and Maria, havent tried it yet.

Britt-Arnhild: that sounds divine!