Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy Holidays!

My hubby took a whole week off starting this Monday. Am very excited coz we've planned a lot of fun outings. Like...eating roast duck rolled with a cucumber slice in rice pancakes at Mainland China, having an Italian meal at Don Giovanni, etc. etc. Sampling some wines we've never tried before. Making some grilled chicken in our microwave. Plans aplenty but hope we see them through. Hubby's recovering from a nasty cough and I hope with all my heart that I don't catch it.

I love Christmas mainly because we get to visit an old Goan bakery and get plum cakes that follow a traditional recipe. Also, rum cakes with a little pink sticker on it. Pink probably symbolising the rosy flush you get from too much rum. :) Only the cherries and peel are soaked in it, only a few really douse the cake with it. But, I was thankful that I got to eat it! And from an old bakery, not those that care more about following trends rather than sticking to what people love to come back to every year.

I am still in the learning stage when it comes to baking cakes (or baking anything actually) and love to bring home a cake mix (Betty Crocker or Pillsbury). Even more than that, I love going into an old-fashioned bakery that follows both standard and trendy menus and has everything for everyone. Of course, there are queues around Christmas and New Year but then that's when you send along your husband to stand in them for as long as it takes to get one rich plum cake. And an even richer rum plum cake.

That's what I love to come back to every year.

6 comments:

Britt-Arnhild said...

Happy Christmas.
Sounds like you have alot of great stuff planned :-)

leahsimone said...

I love hearing about food in general, and especially cake!!! you describe it very very well...

Leah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Girl from Lokhandwala said...

Good morning, girls. It's 10 am here and I'm all out of rum cake :( . But the day's not over yet and there's a run to the bakery planned this evening :)).

Britt-Arnhild - Am dying to do all of them starting tomorrow :)

Leah - (with a deep bow) thank you! I guess the love showed there :)

luckys said...

gta5apk.monster
The Viper has already striked this week and pinned the champion so...

Tiktok Followers said...

thanks Tiktok Followers for the help